Math v. Maths: We’re Found the Definitive Answer

Math 2

Americans say math. Those in the UK and other Commonwealth nations say maths. But who’s right? We believe we’ve come across the clearest explanation of the reasons for the difference, and a verdict, at the wonderful Numberphile.

Dr. Lynne Murphy, who answered the question, is a Reader* in Linguistics & English Language at the University of Sussex.  According to Dr. Murphy, ‘Reader’ is a UK academic title that has no exact North American counterpart; it’s sort of between US ‘Associate Professor’ & ‘Professor’. Her blog, Separated by a Common Language, examines language use on both sides of the pond.

Just remember, in the US it is “sports,” not sport.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>